IELTS PREPARATION - Common idioms used in speaking and writing - Part 1

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Idioms are an important aspect of the English language, and being able to use them correctly can be beneficial for test takers appearing for the IELTS exam. Here are some common idioms that can be used in the speaking and writing sections of the IELTS exam:






A piece of cake - something that is very easy Example: The IELTS reading section was a piece of cake for me.


On the ball - alert and competent Example: The IELTS examiner was very on the ball and asked me some tricky questions.


Hit the nail on the head - to say or do something exactly right Example: The IELTS tutor hit the nail on the head when he explained the difference between two similar-sounding words.


By the skin of one's teeth - narrowly succeeding Example: I passed the IELTS exam by the skin of my teeth.


Keep your chin up - stay optimistic and positive Example: Even though I didn't perform well in the IELTS speaking section, I'm keeping my chin up and practicing more.


A blessing in disguise - something good that initially seemed bad Example: Failing my first IELTS attempt was a blessing in disguise as it motivated me to work harder and improve my skills.


Throw in the towel - give up Example: Despite facing some difficulties during the IELTS exam, I didn't throw in the towel and completed the test.


Get the ball rolling - start something Example: I'm going to get the ball rolling and start practicing for the IELTS exam every day.


A penny for your thoughts - asking someone to share their thoughts or opinions Example: The IELTS examiner asked me "A penny for your thoughts?" after my speaking section.


Piece of the pie - a share in something Example: Achieving a high score in the IELTS exam will give me a piece of the pie in terms of career opportunities.

By incorporating these idioms into your speech and writing, you can demonstrate your fluency and ability to use English in a natural and sophisticated way during the IELTS exam. However, it's important to use idioms correctly and appropriately, as using them incorrectly can negatively affect your score.

For Australian Life Culture please visit: https://aus-life-culture.blogspot.com/ For Video about Australia please visit: https://www.youtube.com/@aus-life-culture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 

Followers

Ielts News