IELTS Writing - General Writing - Complaining To A Hotel

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You recently stayed in a hotel in a large city. The weather was very unusual for the time of year and the heating/cooling system in the hotel was quite inadequate.
Write a letter to the manager of the hotel.

In your letter

* give details of what was wrong
* explain what you had to do to overcome the problem at the time
* say what action you would like the manager to take
* You should write at least 150 words.
* Allow yourself 15 minutes for this task.
* you do NOT need to write your own address.
< If you have written a sample answer, post it as a comment >

Model answer:

Dear Sir / Madam

I am writing in connection with my recent stay at the Four Seasons in London, England. Unfortunately, due to a malfunctioning heater in my room, I spent three miserable nights at your hotel from April 26 – 29, 2010.
When I arrived in London, there was an unexpected snowstorm. I understand it does not usually snow in April; however, when I got to my room, there was no heat. After complaining, a technician was sent up, who informed me they had to install a new heating unit. When I asked to be moved to another room, I was told the hotel was completely booked. Unfortunately, each night after work I returned to discover the problem had not been rectified. Eventually, I spent three horribly uncomfortable nights, wearing my coat to bed, wearing socks around the room and ending up with a bad cold from the unheated room. I had no time to complain as I had to catch a flight home right after my conference.
I am shocked by this terrible service. This is not what anyone expects for $400 a night! To compensate me for this tremendous inconvenience, I ask that you refund my money right away and offer me a free, more comfortable stay in one of your finer suites in the future. If not, I am prepared to take my complaint to a higher authority.
I look forward to hearing from you at the earliest,
Yours faithfully,
Mr John Lennon
(236 words)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 

Followers

Ielts News